Mercury was once again the
focus of D.C. fire officials, as a spill at the University of
the District of Columbia brought a hazmat response to the campus
Thursday evening, April 1st.
The incident, which
involved a gram of the liquid, took place in a classroom inside
building 44, located at the main campus at 4200 Connecticut
Avenue N.W. First arriving firefighters sealed off the affected
area and isolated students and an instructor who had been
exposed to the substance.
The hazmat unit suited up
and surveyed the room, where the product was lying on a
tabletop. Readings, which proved negative, were taken of all the